Sussex Police Photo Archive 1910

OPCM

PC Freeman, Hove Police, circa 1910. Note the collar number preceded by "H" (for Hove). The two medals on his chest are the Egypt Medal and Khedive's Star, both from 1882, indicating service in the Egyptian campaign of that year. The cut of the trousers leads one to assume that belts were not provided.

Photo: Illustrative image for the '' page

Map of Hastings, 1910, showing the Town Hall and Police Station in Queens Road. The Central Police Station had been opened at the rear of the new Town Hall in September 1881 to replace the old "Watchhouse". New stations were also opened at Bohemia and Clive Vale.

Photo: Illustrative image for the '' page

Seventeen members of Hove Police guard the entrance to Marine Park on Empire Day, 1910.

Photo: Illustrative image for the '' page

The Brighton Police Band was formed in 1884. Founded by the then Chief Constable Mr James Terry, the band gave its first performance at the Corn Exchange in June of that year. World War 1 appears to have halted band practice but it did reform in 1921.

Photo: Illustrative image for the '' page

The Proclamation of King George V at Brighton May 1910.

Photo: Illustrative image for the '' page

 

This page was added by Paul Beaken on 30/11/2015.