Sussex Police Photo Archive


Sussex Police

Photo: Illustrative image for the 'Sussex Police Photo Archive' page

An original door from Chichester's gaol, dating from 1784. The original gaol was above the city's East Gate, but this was demolished in 1783 and a new gaol was opened on the south side of East Gate in what was later to become the Police Station.

The first occupant of the new gaol was a young woman who worked for Lady Franklin - she was sentenced to seven years transportation for stealing a quantity of linen.

This page was added by Paul Beaken on 03/05/2015.